Erik wrote:

On Sat, 2002-10-26 at 17:37, Nick Adams wrote:

Nick Adams wrote:

Spencer wrote:

On October 26, 2002 08:36 am, Jimmy Montague wrote:

Hi, Everybody:

I downloaded the isos and burned them onto 3 CDs.
I booted from CD1 and ran the install per directions.
It's slick until comes time to configure the video/Xwindows environment.
There I hit a stump. I've installed 4 times, now, and still can't get it
right.

System is:

FIC VA503+ mobo
AMD K6-2/350 processor
256 mb Crucial RAM
2 Maxtor 13 gb hdds
1 generic 50x CD-ROM
1 fdd
Creative Ensoniqe sound
ATI 3D Rage Pro vid card with 8 mb RAM
Compaq V50 monitor
IBM model M keyboard (101 key, US English)
Logitech MouseMan PS2

Problem is that during the install, Xconfigurator sees the vid card as
an ATI Mach 64 with a Utah chipset. Default config is 16 million 24-bit
color, 800x600 res.

If I accept that and run a test, the screen goes black for about 30
seconds and then comes back on. If I then tell it to load X at boot-up,
what happens is that the system reboots and looks good until it loads X.
Then the screen goes black and stays that way forever.

So I reinstall. Tell Xconfigurator that the vid card is really an ATI
Rage Pro 3D. Then, no matter what config I set up (65k colors @ 16-bit,
for example) the system returns an error when I test it.

The error is: "You must specify a keyboard in XF86Config try to change
some parameters." (sic)

So I boot to the command line as root. Issue a command xf86config. Run
through all of THAT. At the end, it tells me it's going to save the
configuration, and then it saves. When I tell it "startx", I get
execve failed for /etc/x11/x (errno 2)
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory

After install no. 4, I'm whipped.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

Nick

Mach 64 Utah drivers are correct. I use the same card along with Xfree 4.2.1. It may be choking on your monitor. Try using generic settings. I am using 1024x768 @ 70 and 800x600 at 24 as final. Works perfect

Spence

Spencer:

You use Xfree 4.2.1 on a generic monitor -- but do you set Xfree to 3d or 2d?

Nick

Spencer:

Been there. Done that. Three times now.

Same result. It doesn't work.

More suggestions, anyone?

Thanks
Nick

Nick,

I'm running the same chipset (according to the setup in 9.0). Do don't
say what OS you ran on this machine before..or what resolution or color
depth. Without that info, it looks like your card handles the default
settings, but your monitor is choking on them. I'd suggest dropping
back to 800x600 at 16-bit and see if it will work. You need to find a
setting that works with your monitor, then you can experiment with the
color depth and resolution to get optimal display.

If you are doing the setup manually, you might also check the frequency
that is being used with the monitor...a freq setting that is too high
(or too low) could be a show-stopper, too.

The default for my card (ATI mach64 Utah) and monitor (Optiquest Q55)
worked fine...XFree 4.2.1, 2D (I also have only 8MB onboard vid ram) and
1024x768, but my monitor will handle the 24-bit color depth.

Erik:

I tried EVERY ATI driver in Drake 9. None of them work with this card.

The card is a 3D Rage Pro. Drake 9 HAS no driver for that card listed, and the default (Utah) driver doesn't work.
That monitor and vid card worked fine with a SuSE 7.3 distro for six months, before I installed Drake 9. I had them running at 1024x768, 16 million colors, etc. That card and that monitor have worked with DOS and Win 3.x, with Win 95, 98, ME and 2k, with Corel Linux and with SuSE. They don't work with Drake 9 -- go figure what's at fault.

Using Drake 9, as I said above, I tried every ATI driver in the selection. None worked. I got refresh specs off the Web for that monitor and tried plugging them into "generic" monitor configurations in Drake 9. It didn't work.

But gee. I swapped the ATI 3D Rage Pro vid card for a Hercules Terminator 128 3D and everything works just fine. The monitor monitors and the accelerator accelerates. I say Drake 9 DOES do video, but not with an ATI 3D Rage Pro vid card.

Nick.