S3 Virge GX2 (4 meg) on the Linux machine.  Xfree is the standard one found
on the Mandrake 6.0 cd.  The work machine has an S3 DX.

There may well be acceleration on the windows machine as the S3 virge uses
an svga server.  Yeah you are right I can probably figure out my own
problems from that information however I am actually interested more in why
I seemed to get better video performance from RH5.2

Aaron