Jeremy Kersenbrock wrote:

> I'm new to Linux (and this list) and am attempting to install Linux-Mandrake
> 6.0 on a system which currently has Win95 installed on its only hard drive
> with the FAT32 file system.
>
> I want to add Linux without destroying Windows or investing in a new hard
> drive (for a while).  My problem is that I cannot recover enough room at the
> end of my drive in which to make the Linux partition(s).  I have tried using
> FIPS and Ranish Partition Manager and both are convinced I can only recover
> about 40MB from a drive with 853MB of free space.
>
> Here is my problem, as I understand it.  Please correct or make suggestions
> as necessary.  Even though I have used the Win95 defragger to defrag the
> drive before I attempt to partition; there are still clusters that the
> defragger "will not move" that are too close to the end of the drive to
> allow me to recover the necessary amount of space.  My Windows swap file is
> not part of the problem as I disabled it and then rebooted and re-defragged
> only to see no change in my problem.
>
> How can I move these clusters up to the front of the disk?  If this is not
> possible, how can I verify what files are in these clusters so that I can
> unistall them?

Jeremy

If I recall correctly the files at the end of the disk are put there
by certain programs. I'm not sure but I think it's things like Norton
Commander and similar progs. If anybody can correct me or shed more
light on this, please do.

What programs are you running? If you can kill these maybe you can
delete
those pesky files. You can always fire them up again after you get
Linux installed. I've got win95 and I stripped all non-essentials
before I installed Mandrake. The defrag/partitioning went smoothly.

Bob Jackson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]