Excellent!

Next one I do, I am going to do it this way -- MDK, first.

Thanks,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lanman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 9:59 AM
Subject: RE: [newbie] Some questions regarding a new load of ML 9.0

Having done hundreds of dual/triple boot installs, I've always found
that the most reliable way of doing the installs, was to start with
Mandrake. Simply setup the partitions like I've indicated below, but
remember NOT to format or mount any of the Windows partitions.

Keep in mind that the whole concept of this kind of install means that
ALL downloads, and user-created files (ie; documents, graphics, copies
or backups of emails and address books,etc.), should be configured to
automatically go to the "/archive" partition.

For example, if you right-click your MS Windows "My Documents" folder,
and click on Properties, then select the "Move" button and browse to the
"/archive" partition (more about this later), where you should have
already created a "My Documents" folder. Both MS Office and OpenOffice
will be happy with this, although you may have to tell them where My
Documents is located. Once you've done this, most office suites will use
this as the new default location.

When setting up your partitions in the Mandrake install, your last
partition - in this example "/archive (should be pretty big on a 30Gb
drive), MUST be formatted with FAT32 so that ALL operating systems will
see it easily. Later when you boot into Windows (either one), re-format
the partition again with Fat32.

The basic premise with this system, is that the only things which will
reside on any of the Windows or Linux partitions will be operating
systems and/or programs, but BUT user-created data ! Any graphics,
music, documents, downloads (for Windows or Mandrake), etc., must be
stored on the "/archive" partition, which you can also name as "Archive"
in Windows for ease of use.

This way, if you ever need to re-install any O/S at all, your personal
files are completely safe from potential damage or accidental deletion
and you can still have your anti-virus programs do regular scans of the
archive partition.

Once your Mandrake install is done, and before you do any updates or
"tweaking", go ahead with your Windows installs in order of age - ie;
Win98, then Win2K. Each in turn will make itself the default O/S, so
rebooting back into it will happen automatically.

When all O/S's are installed, re-insert your first Mandrake CD, and do
an "Expert-Upgrade". this will take about 2 minutes, and Mandrake will
now detect ALL the Windows partitions, and setup mount points for them.
When you get to the bootloader section of the Upgrade, you'll see that
all of your operating systems are listed here, so choose your default
O/S of preference (do I have to state the obvious here?), and finish the
rest of the Upgrade as usual.

Mandrake will show your existing network, printer and video settings, so
you can just run through this part easily, and that's it. LILO will now
take over as your boot-manager, and will provide easy selection of those
other O/S's that you have accidentally or inadvertently installed! LOL !

This may sound like a lot of work, but you should only have to do this
once, and knowing that your critical information and downloaded data is
pretty safe, really helps. It also allows you to re-install any of the
operating systems safely. Of course, when installing a newer version of
Linux, leaving your /home partition alone should also leave your desktop
settings, bookmarks, etc., alone. It's the only time that not formatting
a partition is usually a good thing!

One word of caution,...Always backup your personal information and data
files before attempting any installs.

Here's my suggestions for your partitions in the order they should
appear in Diskdrake during install;

Based on a 30 Gb hard drive,...

1) Windows 98 - 5 Gb.'s
2) Windows 2000 - 5 Gb.'s
3) Mandrake (any version) - 5.25 Gb.'s ("/" partition = 3.5 Gb.'s, swap
   partition = 250 Mb.'s, /home partition = 2.5 Gb.'s
4) Remaining space becomes /archive ( as seen in Mandrake) or D:\Archive
partition ( as seen by both versions of Windows)=14 Gb.'s approximately.

Order of installation;
1) Mandrake on third set of partitions
2) Windows 98 on first partition
3) Windows 2000 on second partition
4) Mandrake Expert Upgrade

One last note - You may have to open the "Disk Management" section of
"Computer Management" in "Administrative Tools" located in Control Panel
of Windows 2000 one time before it sees the Archive Partition. After
that you should be in good shape.

Lanman

----