On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 13:06:50 +1100
"Patrick Griffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>         Running mandrake 8.2 and I'm trying to install a plx wireless carrier with
>an Orinoco wireless card. Tried reading the how to's with no success. Can any one
>step me through how to add this module. Hardware reports an unknown device.
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Regards pat

You need to install the pcmcia_cs and wireless-tools RPMS from your CDs
Then next time you reboot yor pcmcia sockets should be detected and become active. You
will hear two beeps from your computer when the pcmcia slots are enabled. Two beeps of
different tone means your oricoco card was detected OK. Two beeps of same tone means
it was not.

Go through the Mandrake Control Centre Networking wizard. It should have detected your
card and installed the 'wvlan_cs' driver. In the wizard you can set the wireless
parameters (encryption key rate etc)  after you complete the wizard with OK, DO NOT
exit the GUI with OK.  A bug means that it will write your old configuration back
again.  You must exit the GUI with 'Cancel'

Your card should now be working. If it is not it is most likely a problem with
encryption key or essid  (Note ASCII encryption keys have to be entered in the format
s:key_name  )
You can use the command 'iwconfig eth0' in a root terminal window to set up the
wireless card by hand, and 'man iwconfig' will give you all the parameters.

HTH

derek