On Sunday 03 November 2002 20:52, John Richard Smith wrote:
> H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> >On Sunday 03 November 2002 18:20, john drouhard wrote:
> >>I currently have Mandrake 9.0. It is installed on a 40 GB hard drive. I
> >>want to mess around with RedHat 8.0 a little. I was wondering how to set
> >> up my machine so I can boot into either Mandrake or Redhat. I also need
> >> to know how to install RedHat in addition to Mandrake. Do I have to
> >> reformat my partitions? Thanks for any help.
> >>
> >>-John Drouhard
> >
> >The easiest way is to install RedHat into a separate partition and boot it
> >with a boot-floppy after installing it the way you normally would.
> >It's a bit slower to boot but that way you get some time to decide whether
> > you want to keep it i.e. install some other distrib or whatever:o)
> >
> >Be sure to create the needed partition first (''parted'' on floppies does
> > a great job, especially if you need to resize) though. You can let RH and
> > Mdk share the same swap, you won't be running them simultaneously.
> >
> >If you want to, you can add your RH partition/install using your existing
> > lilo (or grub) in Mdk but you will have to create the specific init.rd
> > for it to point to. To tackle that you will have to have RH already
> > installed so that's for later:o)
> >
> >Good Luck,
> >Harm
>
> So what you are saying then is that if you install redhat on one partition
> then redhat installer will not automatically put it's  init.rd  file in
> a shared
> /boot partition , you will have to do that afterwards, because when
> I ever get around to doing  a RH install I planned not to install RH
> lilo at all but then add a  stanzas in mandrake lilo.conf to boot RH.
> My lilo sits in W2k MBR.
> John

Yes, the initrd (or vmlinuz file) is specific for the kernel you want to run.
Like you would install a different kernel i.e. win4lin or Nvidia.
If the kernelversions are close enough the one might run the other with a lot
of error messages, but what's the point.

If you let RH install the bootloader you would have to make an extra Mdk entry
and point it to the right init.rd. Then it would be a matter of taste which
bootloader you prefer.
Point is the RH loader will look for initrd images in the /boot directory on
its own partition and so will Mdk.
I've never tried a shared separate "/boot" partition though, so I don't know
if that'll work. Certain is that you will then have to leave /boot untouched
as RH will rewrite (if not reformat) that /boot partition..... tricky!
Maybe somebody else has some pointers on that:o)

Good luck,
Harm