On Monday 04 Nov 2002 8:52 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> So what you are saying then is that if you install redhat on one
> partition then redhat installer will not automatically put it's  init.rd
> file in a shared
> /boot partition , you will have to do that afterwards, because when
> I ever get around to doing  a RH install I planned not to install RH
> lilo at all but then add a  stanzas in mandrake lilo.conf to boot RH.
> My lilo sits in W2k MBR.
> John

Haven't used RH8.0 but (with 7.2 & 7.3) yes RH _will_ install into a /boot
partn.

Disclaimer:  I AM NO EXPERT!  This may not be the "correct" way to do it,
its just how I do it.

I think the shared /boot partn must be a PRIMARY partn for RH and I think
ext2 fs would be a better bet than ext3 (you can always convert it to ext3
later).  Sometimes RH didn't recognise the ext3 partns during installation
(altho IIRC that was with 7.2 not 7.3).  During the MDK installation when
you create your partns there is an option of making the partn "Primary".

Just insert the 1st RH CD and follow the installation process thru.

You can setup your partns during the RH installation using RH's Disk Druid
(their equivalent to diskdrake) - that is if you already have a primary
/boot partn.  Don't format the MDK partns.

**** WARNING **** If you get a warning when you get to the partitioning bit
about not being able to read your boot table (or something like that) and
all data will be lost, do not click OK because it does exactly that!  It
wipes everything!  Unlike MDK's diskdrake that does not overwrite the boot
table until you tell it to by clicking the final OK.  So be warned.  I
clicked OK thinking it was like diskdrake and wouldn't overwrite anything
until I said so.... wrrrroooong... and it wasn't my pc either!

In both RH7.2 & RH7.3, even though I select "Do not install a boot loader",
it installs lilo anyway which overrides MDK's lilo.

Altho RH overwrites MDK's MBR just edit /etc/lilo.conf in RH to ensure it
includes MDK, run lilo and reboot to MDK (MDK will be in the RH boot menu
when you boot).  I found that I have uninstall lilo in MDK then reinstall
it which overwrites the MBR - don't forget to edit MDK's /etc/lilo.conf to
ensure it includes RH and rerun lilo.  Just editing /etc/lilo.conf and
re-running lilo without uninstalling & reinstalling produces an error about
the version being wrong - I figured thats because its RH's version in the
MBR.  Or you can just continue to use RH's lilo boot loader (reckon its
pretty ugly ;)  ).

IIRC, Civileme said its to install RH before you install MDK but I always
end up doing it the other way round because I already MDK installed and I
don't want to reinstall MDK.  Now, whenever I do a clean install (wipe
entire hd), I make the /boot partn "primary" just in case I decide to
install RH later.

Make sure you backup your data before starting... but I'm sure you were
going to anyway :)

Good luck
Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today