On Monday 04 Nov 2002 2:58 pm, you wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:11:47AM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I tried the montage command with what seemed like reasonable options,
> > there was a good deal of disk activity, then the prompt returned with
> > 'Killed' report.  Could it be that the contents of the directory were to
> > big to manage?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Possibly. How many files did you have? I've been experimenting with this
> and it seems like a good limit is about 40 images, which can produce two
> composites of images tiled 4x5 @ 200 pixels, which is what I like.

A good many more than that, so it sounds lilkely to be the cause.

> I have some scripts I've been using to facilitate this if you're
> interested. One will take the images in a directory and put them in
> subdirectories containing exactly 20 images. Another will run the
> montage command on each of those subdirectories.

I'm definitely interested.  I've got to get these out quickly, so I'll be
using my old windows program to print the contact sheets, but by next weekend
I hope to have time to really get to grips with this.  It sounds ideal.

> I made it so that the montage rotates images that are taller than they
> are wide. It makes the resulting composite "prettier," though sometimes
> I have to turn my head sideways.
>
> When I run montage, I do:
>
> montage -geometry 200+2+5 -background white -label %f -tile 4x5
> image1.jpg image2.jpg [or, *.jpg] index.jpg
>
> That puts a 2 pixel border on the x and 5 pixel border on the y, and
> prints the filename under each picture, 4 pictures across and 5 down,
> and names the composite index.jpg.
>
> Todd

That sounds a good starting point.  I'll try it.  Thanks

Anne