you can also use the command   'locate "xxxxxx"'   in a terminal.  the x's
being the name of the software you want to find.
----- Original Message -----
From: "robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] making rpm installation easier for newbies

tek1 wrote:
> i've been using windows quite a bit, but slowly making the move to
> linux.  :)
>
> lately, i installed opera6 on linux.  downloading the rpm and installing
> it was easy, but post-installation, i wasn't able to find where the
> opera executable was.  knowing rpm command line and other commands, it's
> easy to find where opera was installed, but for someone completely new
> to linux, i think that they would be lost.
>
> one suggestion for improving rpm and other installation programs for
> linux is to put a icon on the desktop for the user to easily find.
> also, somehow placing the icon somewhere in the kmenu (for kde) or
> asking the user in which folder (i.e. applications) a shortcut should be
> made would make newbies transition to linux a lot easier.
>
> this installation problem/situation is not limited to opera, but is
> related to all gui-based software installed on linux that is to be used
> in the point-and-click fashion by end users...
>
> i think that the above would be one of the first problems faced by
> individuals and companies making the switch from windows to linux...
>
> anyone know if there are future plans for rpm to include an icon on the
> desktop and/or in the desktop environments' (kde/gnome) folders upon
> package installation?

Menu integration is more to do with the people who write the packages -
some packages will add KDE or GNOME menu entries; most do not.  Package
writers could, I suppose, add icons to be put on the user's desktop, but
  most people probably wouldn't want this.  Remember that Linux is
designed as a multi-user system, and a lot of users would object to
icons popping up on their desktops every time the sysadmin installed a
new program.

An easy way to find files in RPM packages is to use the Software Manager
(in 9.0 you neeed to select "uninstall software"; in 8.* you just click
on the "installed" tab).

Remember also that nine times out of ten the command to run a program is
the same as the name of the package (usually in lowercase).

Sir Robin

--
"You almost never hear that word "computer" anymore, do you?
They're part of everything now. They used to be boxes with

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Ankara