who should we direct the feedback about rpm and application icons to? the people who manage rpm or those who manage the windows managers (kde, gnome, etc.), or the companies who create the distributions (i.e. mandrake)?

i am a consultant and looking to help companies make the switch from windows to linux, but i know that not knowing *easily* where an application was installed will stop newbies dead in their tracks...

i wonder if lindows or the new desktop manager that redhat created has this application icon feature...? still a big supporter of mandrake though! :)

At 11:18 02/11/05 +0100, you wrote:
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:05:35 +0000
Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Of course - we know that now. But the point being made is that competely new
> users don't. I'm sure it would not be difficult for programmers to write in
> the option for a link on the desktop. Nor would it be difficult for Mandrake
> to provide link in the What-to-do menu that tells how to use menuDrak to add
> entries.
>
> Small touches like this would not cause any problem for the experienced, but
> would greatly help newbies.

I agree to some extent with you Anne...personally I don't use either Gnome or
KDE anymore but WindowMaker which I really love and like and there you always
need to dock the icon yourself on the desktop and there are no menus like in
KDE and Gnome.

Just some ranting

/Anders