From: "Anne Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 6:58 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Thumbnail view puzzler

On Wednesday 06 Nov 2002 10:53 am, you wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>  >On Tuesday 05 Nov 2002 10:53 pm, you wrote:
>  >>Anne Wilson wrote:
>  >>>On Tuesday 05 Nov 2002 6:38 pm, you wrote:
>  >>>>Anne Wilson wrote:
>  >>>>>I use KView's ability to display thumbnails, when working
>
> with images,
>
>  >>>>>but have come across a real puzzler.  In the large batch of
>
> photos I'm
>
>  >>>>>working with, two directories contain .jpg and .bmp images.
>
> Some of the
>
>  >>>>>.bmps were written by a windows program, and some by gPhoto.
>
>   The .jpgs
>
>  >>>>>display as thumbnails, but the .bmps don't.
>  >>>>>
>  >>>>>In a third directors there are images that were captured
>
> from video by a
>
>  >>>>>windows application, then trimmed in Gimp.  These all show
>
> as .BMP.
>
>  >>>>>These images do display as thumbnails.
>  >>>>>
>  >>>>>All three directories are subdirectories in a fat32
>
> partition, so
>
>  >>>>>renaming *.bmp to *.BMP makes no difference.
>  >>>>>
>  >>>>>Any ideas, anyone?
>  >>>>>
>  >>>>>Anne
>  >>>>
>  >>>>What about the name of the files ?
>  >>>>
>  >>>>John
>  >>>
>  >>>Non-displaying ones are in the order of pic00003.bmp and
>
> displaying ones
>
>  >>>are Svid003.BMP.
>  >>>
>  >>>Anne
>  >>
>  >>Well I'm not familiar with those file names as such but I do
>
> know many
>
>  >>windblows file names have to be changed, that is what jhead and
>
> chcase
>
>  >>are there for, but just as
>  >>an experiment try changing the name to something all lowercase
>
> and see what
>
>  >>happens.
>  >>john
>  >
>  >Wouldn't that be counter-productive?  It's the mixed case ones
>
> that do
>
>  >display correctly.
>  >
>  >BTW, the pic* names are because that's the way the smartmedia
>
> card names its
>
>  >.jpg files, and I use .bmp when processing them to avoid further
>
> degradation.
>
>  > The Svid* files are a user'defined prefix from the video
>
> capture software.
>
>  >Anne
>
> All I can go on is my experiences with Windblows files , and any
> Johnfiles that
> were higher case I had to rename in all lower case to work in
> linux, and
> to that end chcase and jhead did the job.

I'm beginning to think that the answer is much more simple.  pic00039.bmp
does not display, but pic00039a.bmp, which is a heavily cropped version,
does.  Is it simply a matter of size?  I think it may be, since the camer
pics are much larger than the video pics that display OK.  Later, I'll try
some cropping to test this theory.

Anne

----