Technoslick wrote:

If turning DMA on works, and you are satisfied --- use it!
T :-)
----- Original Message -----
*From:* gikoreno <mailto:gikoreno@;excite.com>
*To:* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:BAGSOFCHOICE@;oldtolley.fsnet.co.uk> ; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:newbie@;linux-mandrake.com>
*Sent:* Wednesday, November 06, 2002 12:12 AM
*Subject:* Re: [newbie] Burning frustration

Hey John,

It turned out the reason why it wasn't burning at a decent speed was DMA related. I turned DMA on as per the other posts and it worked.
Knowing how people warn on the reliability of CD-ROMS when coupled with DMA, I am not convinced it's the best idea (will corruption follow?), but the performance of the system definitely went tremendously up.
So I guess I'll figure it out soon.
Thanks!

gikoreno

As a matter of interest, when it goes wrong using DMA, what
is the result, I mean , is it just data loss or something, or is there permanent
hardware breakage.
John

--
John Richard Smith