On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 04:21, Jordan R. Thompson wrote:

> [...]
Best way is to edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.local and add
fetchmail -d360
(or whatever the polling interval is you desire)

That forces FETCHMAIL to run as a daemon, polling at 360 seconds as per
the example.

> [jordan@dot jordan]$ ps -ef | grep fetchmail
> root     26259     1  0 06:57 ?        00:00:03 fetchmail -d 180 -f
> /etc/fetchma
> jordan   28509 28471  0 12:16 pts/7    00:00:00 grep fetchmail
> [jordan@dot jordan]$

Ok - well, that's showing that fetchmail is running as a daemon, polling
at 180 seconds and FORCING

> I am a little confused on what is doing what even though I have read all of
> the faqs.  As I see it, there are four "mail things" that need to be run on
> the Mandrake machine, but I don't know what they actually are:
>
> Mandrake -> ISP
> Mandrake <- ISP *
>
> Client (windows) -> Mandrake
> Client (windows) <- Mandrake *

Being that the outbound mailing is rather simple, it would appear as
though you might have something mucked up in your outbound configs.
Postfix or Sendmail might need to be double checked for configuration.

> Those with an asterix work, the others used to work.  I would love to know
> what the names of each one are.

Let's try this as an example of how I have my fetchmail working (diagram
style)

(For inbound) ISPmailserver -> LinuxServer (fetchmail) -> mbox
-- fetchmail set to remove all messages from server
(For outbound using SENDMAIL) mbox -> via SENDMAIL (or postfix) ->
ISPMailserver

Windows clients use the IP of the LinuxServer as their SMTP server, and,
of course, the IP of the LinuxServer as their POP3 (or IMAP if you have
that running).

> Webmin is something I'd love to be able to use - in the three years I have
> been playing with Mandrake, I have never gotten it to work.  I don't
> remember using fetchmailconf (I think I was following an installation
> procedure on the web and edited the files by hand.)

You can start FETCHMAILCONF from a terminal or from a RUN command in
your WM - it's rather straightforward.

Using WebMin (assuming it's installed on your system) is easy. Just open
up a browser, type in: localhost:10000 and hit enter. If you got it
installed, it will pop up a login page. If you don't, well, it won't!

--
Fri Nov 15 08:30:00 EST 2002

--------------------------------
|            __    __          |
|           /  \ /| |'-.       |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |kuhn media australia
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |http://kma.0catch.com
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |stephen kuhn
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     |mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     |linux user:267497

Someone thought The Big Red Button was a light switch.