Anne,

I have a box running 8.2 for my daughters when they are home to visit, and
for any guest that would want to get on-line. It's a Intel P133 MHz, 128 MB
RAM running two 3 GB HDs. I can't recall the video card, off-hand. KDE
starts up slow as molassas in January, but once up, is adequate for what the
box is used for.

If you think he is going to need a powerful GUI that looks and functions
more like Windows on this old box, I think that 8.2 would run better for
him. If he would be more interested in "roughing" it, as most young men like
to, and sans a GUI, or work with a lighter version, I don't see why 9.0
wouldn't be a great choice. The RAM has to be up around the 128 MB mark, in
my opinion, where 64 MBs of RAM will work OK for 8.2. The more RAM the
better, as you well know. If you have to pick the best of anything in your
spare parts bin, make it the video card! Keep in mind that the video card
and ability of the monitor to go hi-freq without destroying itself are
important. I have already ruined one older monitor by running X-windows too
'hot' for the monitor's capabilities. You are definitely going to want to
load XFree86 3.3.6 instead of 4.2.2, Xconfigurator, and your favorite text
editor. I also would recommend that you both do the X-windows testing after
installation, not during.

Tell us more about the specs for this older box, Anne. This the perfect
place to find if anyone has had any problems with older components in Linux.