On Wednesday 20 Nov 2002 3:55 pm, Technoslick wrote:
> From: "Anne Wilson"
> The external bus speed on a 233 MHz processor is 66.6
> MHz, so I would think that you should be able to use PC133 memory.

I think it will be OK if I can't get PC100.  I'll just stick to the one DIMM,
I think - mixed speed problems avoided.

> Would /swap and /home on 1 drive and the rest on the other be a good
> configuration?
>
> T: I have to chuckle on this question because I am so lazy with this that I
> usually let Mandrake partition for me. If you do, it will most likely make
> the second drive your /home partition, dividing up the primary drive as /
> and /swap. The pros on having seperate partitions for the other critical
> directories seem moot on such a small drive configuration, but I'm sure
> there are many others that would have a different opinion. For what you
> want to do with this box, K.I.S.S. works fine in my book. Mandrake will
> automatically try to make /swap about 400 MBs for 128 MBs of RAM. It works
> for me. The rest of the primary drive is enough to squeek in pretty much
> all that he is going to have horsepower to run (IMHO). The 4 GB /home gives
> him tons of space to download his updates (and keep them, if he needs them
> again) or to store his personal stuff.

Sounds OK to me.  I'll leave it to it then.

> My bad, I think.  I meant to imply that it was absolutely average.  I don't
> have the specs, but I could probably get some - it's a Goldstar.
>
> T: Goldstar has never been appreciated as quality componentry, but my
> experience with their goods is that they perform, and keep performing long
> after the name-band stuff has died and become a memory. However, the only
> way to know is to see if you can get specs off the manual or find them on
> the Web. Of all the stuff that you have in a PC, I think frying the monitor
> has got to be the easiest 'no-no' to accomplish. Then again, I carry my own
> personal, customized black cloud with me all the time, so who am I to say?

> Lastly, the monitor that I fried not too long ago in
> Linux had no problems running 1024X768, 24-bit and at a frequncy of 70 Hz
> in Windows. Linux is notorious for trying to drive refresh rate well beyond
> 75 Hz, which will kill older monitors.

My monitor is a low spec Taxan LCD, so not capable of high refresh rates.  The
display problem I had there under 8.2 was that the os identified it as a high
performance 1024x768, capable of 70Hz.  When I booted up I had a large blue
patch saying that 85Hz was not advisable.  85Hz?  Anyway, I found that the
next entry on the list was 1024x768 without the high performance bit, and
everything was fine after that.  But I still don't know whey it was trying 85
when it had identified it as capable of 70.

> I couldn't care less about owning up
> to what I don't know, as long as someone is willing to teach me more.

I'm not proud - I'll pick anyone's brains ;-)

> Anyway, it seems that you have the making of a 1st-timer. As long as your
> grandson doesn't expect the world from it, he should enjoy it. You do
> realize, don't you, that if his mind grabs on to Linux, you will be asking
> him for help very soon? <giggle>

Can't wait!

Anne