Having an installation only a few days old, this was new to me.  I can
confirm, however, that after installing the UK dictionary and hyphenation
tool, and enabling them under Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing
Aids the spellchecker picked up all the deliberately inserted mis-spellings.

I have to say that when something does not work, my first thought is what am I
doing wrong, or what have I failed to do?

Anne