Aaron wrote:

I think there is something missing 3 cds and only two found that is why
I searched the /dev directory let me summarize
fstab as /dev/scd1 and mounted /mnt/cdrom3 is the 40MAX the native SCSI?

ok so it's the writer that is the true scsi device

fstab as/dev/scd0 and mounted /mnt/cdrom1 is the PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-40TS?

OK this is a rom drive and scsi-emulated

fstab as /dev/hdb and mounted /mnt/cdrom is the Hitachi ide dvd {this I am sure of }

ok this is the dvd and a straight ide device

All the above is as you asked /mnt/ has the three cdroms cdrom, cdrom2 cdrom3

OK but if you are calling

dev/scd0 and mounted /mnt/cdrom1, as /mnt/cdrom1, then change /mnt/cdrom2 to /mntcdrom1 to agree with it.otherwise you cannot mount
it.

I still get the error message that scd0 is not a block device and mount: special device /dev/scd1 does not exist

I think

message that scd0 is not a block device will correct when you change cdrom2 to cdrom1 in /mnt directory

I think you are right this is your true scsi device and it ain't in /dev directory
as /dev/scd1 and I think it ought to be, and you don't have a writer till it does.

I think this is a case for one of those modprobe commands that I'm not really
cleaver with, but in a root terminal try modprobe -c and lsmod
and report back and let us see if other list members can help.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]