Sorry, probably I have little idea about this but I had a similar problem and
I would like to say something about:

A) I ever thought that hard-drives should be connected in the way to be
recognized before cdroms/dvd drives; have you tried to conect your harddrives
to be hda and hdb?

B) having two cdrom/cdrwriter conected in a computer, mandrake 8.2 wouldn't
recognized any of them when I have attached in the second IDE as master the
cdrom and as slave the cdwriter; just changing the cdrom to slave and the
cdwriter to master, both were recognized and now are runing like a charm.

Perhaps you can try those changes and use not only the cable selection, but
the jumper on every drive to switch between slave and master.

Test it, it worth.

--
Francisco Alcaraz Ariza
Departamento de Biología Vegetal