Brian Parish wrote:

On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 01:48, John Richard Smith wrote:

Yes , Stephen,

Technical drawing on computer, you know round widgets and things.

I'm currently looking at gcad, which I take to mean Computer Aided Design.
and Dia, both look promissing, I found a help file for qcad , seems to
think you know quite a bit already, and the manual doesn't start to get
going for some depth, but I trying to make sense of it right now.

Dia seems to have a broken help file location so currently cannot make
head nor tail of it.I haven't drawn with computers before so this is all new.

I need to draw a plan, side, and end view of a device I'm giving to
a friend so he can make it for himself.

thanks.

John

John,

Regarding qcad, check this out to get you started:

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/January2002/article132.shtml

HTH
Brian

Oh thanks very much Brian, that is a far better written manual than I had.
There is something a lot easier about the way it's done.

I've created 3 view diagrams with my first brief encounter,
of course nothing is to scale and I've got to figure out how you
do that , there does not appear to be rulers as such thought you can set
calibration and scaling. It seems to me you really want a very large
monitor for commercial technical drawing , and some hole lot better
screen resolution would aid display especially as far and straight lines
are concerned which often come out looking slightly stepped on screen,
though not otherwise.

Now one further question.

Is the qcad file format at all compatible with anything
in windblows, do you know ?

John

--
John Richard Smith