----- Original Message -----
From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 20:58:07 +0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Opera seg fault solution

> By all means comment out the entries. It can do no harm.
>
> Let us know if it helps. I also have been having random crashes on Opera 6.1
> on my test machine. Opera 6.1 seems rather fragile to me, not up to Opera's
> usual standard.
>
> With so ,many good browsers like Galeon, Mozilla, and now Phoenix (due to be
> renamed soon) Opera are going to have to get their 'act together' to keep the
> community using it.
>
> derek
>

> On Saturday 30 Nov 2002 1:38 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
> > Greetings all, I have been experiencing occasional seg faults w/Opera 6.1
> > shared qt on my Mdk 9.0. I learned of the following solution on the
> > opera-linux list:
> > http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6395
> >
> > What I would like to ask of the folk here is, will disabling the entries in
> > /etc/X11/XftConfig that are mentioned as a solution to the Opera seg faults
> > cause any adverse effects to my system in general?
> >
> > I'm reluctant to alter system files. I guess I could just try commenting
> > out the entries and see what happens, and if it causes anything
> > undesireable to occur, just uncomment.
> >
> > I trust the advice of the people here, and would like feedback on this.
> >
> > TIA for any help.
> >

> > --Angus

Thanks for your reply Derek. I tried commenting out the lines as outlined here:
http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6395
but to no avail in my case I'm afraid.

I can avoid seg faults and the resulting crash in my situation, but I would like to
know what is causing them.
All I have to do to get Opera to seg fault and crash is to open the browser set to my
home page of google.com, and then close the page with the close button. That causes
Opera to immediately seg fault and crash! I don't have any other crashes in normal
use. It's pretty strange. Also, I cannot get Opera 6.1 shared qt to display flash. I
can get the static qt version to use flash however. :-/
I also have font problems with the static version, so I am presently using the shared
qt. Great fonts.

I posted these problems on the opera-linux list, but have not had any forthcoming
solutions. Apparently the flash thing is due to an Opera glitch in the shared qt
version I'm using. Opera people tell me they can't reproduce the seg faulting that I'm
noting.

I agree with your observations as to Opera should get their manure straightened out if
they want to retain the Linux community. Having said that though, I must add that in
spite of the problems, I'm still using Opera. I am on a dialup, and Opera is just
plain a lot faster than any other browser I've tried thus far. And it has a bunch of
great features too. I got hooked on Opera under MS, and just continue with it under
Linux. If it would only perform as good w/Linux as it does w/MS.......

Maybe the next release?

All the best. :-)

--Angus

"An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows
absolutely everything about nothing."