----- Original Message -----
From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 21:01:52 +0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] "open with" menu entries

> On Saturday 30 Nov 2002 1:22 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
> > Greetings all, on my Mdk 9.0, when I right click on a plain text file and
> > go to the "open with" menu, I have several duplicate program entries
> > listed. Where can I straighten this out?
> >
> > This has to do with file associations, doesn't it? There is probably a way
> > to fix this by altering my file associations in CC, but I am unsure how to
> > proceed. Help.
> >
> > Many TIA's for any feedback. :-)
> >
> > --Angus
>
> You are right Angus. Just open KDE ControlCentre>FileBrowsing>FileAssociations
> use the search box to find the mime type (suffix) you are interested in. The
> list of associations will be shown. Add or delete to your hearts content. The
> top entry in the list will be the default association.  Click on the
> 'embedded' Tab to see which applications will open from inside konqueror.
>
> derek

Thanks for the reply Derek, but I can't seem to figure out why I have the duplicate
entries in my "open with" menu when I right click on a plain text file. I don't see
any duplications in CC > file associations.

When I right click on a plain text file I get the following options to "open with":

KWrite
KEdit
Emacs
Create a text document
Nedit
KWord
Kate
GEdit
Create a text document
KWord
--------------------
Other.......
Embedded KDE Advanced Text Editor Component
Create a text document
KWord

This is no big deal, but it bugs me to have these duplicates. Do you have a text file
known type called "english" in your CC entries? I'm not sure if it's something that I
added or was there by default.

Any idea how I can get them out?

TIA.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber