On Sunday 01 December 2002 07:11, RCD wrote:

>>> SNIP <<<

> The one really awsome thing about debian.... and I'm not bashing mandrake
> at all is their upgrade, update system.  Using apt-get you can upgrade your
> system to a testing version, or unstable version and then back again
> (although going backwards is risky).  You can select packages from stable,
> testing, or unstable and mix and match all by editing your source.list file
> something you will not get to experience when using apt with mandrake.
> Once Debian is installed through apt you really never have to upgrade your
> system as apt-get will do it for you.  I love mandrakes ease of use and its
> community is by far the friendliest of all the distro's I've tried, but
> debians maintenance and upgradeability are far supirior to any rpm based
> system.  I hear gentoo is pretty advanced when it comes to updating or
> upgrading as well.
>
> Rob

I tried Debian (potato) about a year ago, and found was horrendous to install.
It eventually installed in "text" mode, but then it took me a week to get it
running in X! Even then, I was having all sorts of problems. Definitely not
for the newbie or even the semi-newbie, in my opinion. For the average user
who wants a Debian type distro, Libranet is excellent.

I like Mandrake best of all the distros I have tried, though, with its
comparative ease of use and latest packages.  As you say, Mandrake's
community spirit is excellent. Libranet's is also excellent.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers

Keith