On Saturday 30 Nov 2002 1:41 pm, Thought Progress wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>  I am hearing a lot about how apt-get is the end all be all of
> dependency resolution. Can someone tell me..
>
> 1. What is apt-get ?
> 2. Does it really work (ie is it worth learning about)?
>
> and
>
> 3. A good source to find out more info on how to get it and install it
> on my Mandrake 9.0 box.
>
> Thanks,
>
> TP

I like APT very much and think it's an excellent program.

I suggest you get it from Texstar's site. This is the Mandrake packaging. You
will need:

APT
APT-DEVEL
SYNAPTIC (the graphical front end)

If you have to download and install them manually, rather than using the
Mandrake software packager, install them in the above order.

Then, as root and connected to the Internet, run the command

apt-get update

It may take up to fifteen minutes for all the headers to be downloaded into
/etc/apt.

Then, run Synaptic. It's under configuration > packaging.

You will see a long list of all packages which are available for downloading
and installing. Those already installed will have a right pointing arrow by
them. You can see installed version numbers and available ones, for deciding
what to update or install.

Highlight the chosen packages and click on the install tab after each choice.
All dependencies will also be automatically selected, and can be checked.

Then click on Proceed, and whatever is selected will be downloaded and
installed.

This is just to get you started.

HTH

Keith