On Tuesday 03 Dec 2002 10:54 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Derek Jennings wrote:
> >On Tuesday 03 Dec 2002 6:57 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >>I am trying to update a printer driver, having removed the old ones.
> >>
> >>[root@localhost root]# rpm -i --force
> >>/mnt/ext2-vol6/downloads2/libgimpprint1-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
> >>/mnt/ext2-vol6/downloads2/libgimpprint1-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm: read
> >>manifest failed: Success
> >>[root@localhost root]#
> >>

> >>why won't it install the package ?
> >>
> >>I have to install 3 packages,
> >>libgimpprint1-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
> >>libgimpprint1-devel-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
> >>gimpprint-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
> >>in this order, I think.
> >>
> >>John
> >
> >I assume you realise that these are Cooker packages, and  --forcing them
> > to install will very likely break your system?
>
> No. I take it that this is why the install was refused then.
>
> >If you really really want to use gimpprint-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm instead of
> >gimpprint-4.2.3-3.2mdk as available in the latest Mandrake 9.0 Updates,
>
> Then how does one know which packages to download.
>
> >then
> >the safest way of doing it is to download the .src.rpm and recompile it
> > for your system with
> >rpm --rebuild gimpprint-4.2.3-5mdk.src.rpm
>
> I couldn't find any src.rpm versions, rpmfind didn't come up with any.
>
> Then,
> libgimpprint1-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
> libgimpprint1-devel-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
> are these also cooker jobs.
>
> because these libgimpprint  are the actual drivers,
> gimpprint is just a graphical front end and
> it's the libgimpprint driver files that are broken
> in M9.0 standard install versions.
>
> John

If you want the latest drivers all you have to do is run Mandrake Update
(assuming you have an update source defined)

Or from the command line
urpmi.update -a
to update your source lists

then

urpmi --update --auto-select
to install any available updates

(I recommend using the command line. You will learn a lot more about how urpmi
works in the process)

However now that you have deleted the original RPMs Mandrake Update will not
know you are interested in these RPMS so now you have to do
urpmi.update -a
urpmi gimpprint
(The other RPMS will be installed automatically since they depend on
gimpprint)

As Tom Brinkman's post pointed out. Anytime rpm fails with a dependency, there
is usually a very good reason.  I learned from (bitter) experience not to use
--force or --no-deps without good reason.