Derek Jennings wrote:

On Wednesday 04 Dec 2002 12:33 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

Derek Jennings wrote:

On Tuesday 03 Dec 2002 10:54 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

Derek Jennings wrote:

On Tuesday 03 Dec 2002 6:57 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

I am trying to update a printer driver, having removed the old ones.

[root@localhost root]# rpm -i --force
/mnt/ext2-vol6/downloads2/libgimpprint1-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
/mnt/ext2-vol6/downloads2/libgimpprint1-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm: read
manifest failed: Success
[root@localhost root]#

why won't it install the package ?

I have to install 3 packages,
libgimpprint1-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
libgimpprint1-devel-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
gimpprint-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
in this order, I think.

John

I assume you realise that these are Cooker packages, and --forcing them
to install will very likely break your system?

No. I take it that this is why the install was refused then.

If you really really want to use gimpprint-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm instead
of gimpprint-4.2.3-3.2mdk as available in the latest Mandrake 9.0
Updates,

Then how does one know which packages to download.

then
the safest way of doing it is to download the .src.rpm and recompile it
for your system with
rpm --rebuild gimpprint-4.2.3-5mdk.src.rpm

I couldn't find any src.rpm versions, rpmfind didn't come up with any.

Then,
libgimpprint1-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
libgimpprint1-devel-4.2.3-5mdk.i586.rpm
are these also cooker jobs.

because these libgimpprint are the actual drivers,
gimpprint is just a graphical front end and
it's the libgimpprint driver files that are broken
in M9.0 standard install versions.

John

If you want the latest drivers all you have to do is run Mandrake Update
(assuming you have an update source defined)

Or from the command line
urpmi.update -a
to update your source lists

then

urpmi --update --auto-select
to install any available updates

(I recommend using the command line. You will learn a lot more about how
urpmi works in the process)

However now that you have deleted the original RPMs Mandrake Update will
not know you are interested in these RPMS so now you have to do
urpmi.update -a
urpmi gimpprint
(The other RPMS will be installed automatically since they depend on
gimpprint)

As Tom Brinkman's post pointed out. Anytime rpm fails with a dependency,
there is usually a very good reason. I learned from (bitter) experience
not to use --force or --no-deps without good reason.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I achieved the result,
unfortunately no update was offered. I only got the
standard M9.0 install, which are broken.
I was connected to the net.

I guess I'm down to forcing cooker installs, as an OS with a broken printer
driver is useless, so I'm going to have to take the risk.

John

If you were not offered updates, then maybe you do not have an update source defined. This command will give you one

urpmi.addmedia --update Updates ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mandrake/updates/9.0/RPMS with ../base/hdlist.cz
(That command is all one line)

Or alternatively you can look at the RPMs in the download source directly
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mandrake/updates/9.0/RPMS

derek

OK, been there downloaded and installed,

gimpprint-4.2.3-3.2mdk.i586.rpm
lingimpprint1-4.2.3-3.2mdk.i586.rpm
libgimpprint1-devel-4.2.3-3.2mdk.i586.rpm

which are all mandrake , not cooker rpms,
but bad luck, these are just as broken and M9.0's choices.

That only leaves the cookers,

How risky is it going to be, I mean , what other choice left to me
is there. What have I got to loose, a buggered up printer maybe,
a sodded up oS, well if the worse comes to the worse I can
put that back, and well a printer , not very likely to do any
lasting damage to the hardware other than the printer itself ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]