wouter pos wrote:

Dear john,

some new developments in my attempt to install
mandrake 9.0:

Now the bootup can find the module dependencies but
hangs NOW with Enabling swap space!!!

What could this mean???

Greetings Wouter Pos

Well, In my experience you can boot to desktop without
having a mounted swap partition, but what this is really
saying to my mind is that you somehow failed to have your
/swap partion mounted when you set up the /swap partition.

It's a three part operation, creating your various partitions
formatting them and then enabling them to be mounted, I'm guessing a bit but I would say you failed to properly select the /swap partiton you created, if indeed you did create a /swap partition. It's not unusual for newbies to get a bit confused with the mandrake partitioning formatting
and enabling tool,
I know that there is almost certainly a way to format and
mount your /swap partition from the rescue disc, but although
it's a bit of a pain I would suggest you do the exercise again
and take a bit more time and care, remember, create,select,
and format each partition if this is a new installation as it is. There is a possibility that your boot disk might
run you to desktop, whereupon it's quite easy to mount
your swap partition from there.

Oh yes, wait a minute there is an entry required in /etc/fstab
like this,
/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0(swap may not be /dev/hda8 ?)
I'm guessing that in failing to set up your /swap partition as mounted during the install, this line will be missing
in your /etc/fstab, and therefore it will not get mounted.

However as I say, I have in the past also forgotten to
mount my newly created /swap partition, but it has never
stopped me getting to desktop, but then I have oudles
of physical memory, so I don't think it's an issue when
I make the same mistake, maybe in your case it is an issue.

John
--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]