Bill Crouch wrote:

> Installing Mandrake (Venus) 6.0 everything appears to go well although
> but I think my old Trident 1meg video card should display at 16 bit
> level 640x480.  Anyway, on initial boot after install load I get this:
>
> INIT: Entering run level 5
> INIT: can't execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this run level
>
> any ideas out there?

I have the same problem, everything was working fine until I upgraded to a
new Epox m/b with a AMD K6-2 450 cpu. Those were the only changes I made
and I get the same errors. Reinstalled RH 5.2 and it runs fine, I think
the error is caused bu Xwindows.
I'm so new at this I haven't even found a text editor that works in Linux
under the command line.
Any help will be appreciated, and experts please don't assume that the
newbies know anything about Linux, please give a full step by step answer.

Don