On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 01:18, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> Okay, i give up. After about 3 days of fighting with v9.0 (3 CD download
> edition) I'm calling it quits and reinstalling v8.2. I tried "noapic", I
> tried "noacpi", etc, etc... Occasionally, I could actually boot up, after
> doing rescue (all installations go just fine - its that first reboot - forget
> it - locks up hard). Even then, it usually would not boot up 2 times in a row
> without locking up. Also, 1 time I got it to shutdown or reboot using
> "shutdown -r or -h now". Every other attempt would up with a:
>
> sending all processes the TERM signal  <OK>
> sending all processes the KILL signal...
>
> and nothing - locks up there.
>
> Whats so frustrating is that this same 3 CD set installed perfectly on a much
> older computer here with far less specs. This one, my main computer is only
> about a year old. Go figure.
>
> Now, some may say bad memory, bad HD, etc,etc,...okay maybe - altough like I
> said its all brand name and less than 1 year old. Besides that, it was
> perfectly stable with v8.2, and I'm back with 8.2 right now and its as stable
> as a rock. (booting up fine, shutting down fine).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but have you not been running heavy duty games
on this system under 8.2, like Diablo 2, Quake 3, etc.  If this is your
premiere system and it's been doing what I think it's been doing, then I
can safely say that you can forgo the memory diags, cause you have a
known good system.

Since you have a known good system, you have basically troubleshot the
problem down to an incompatibility between an aspect of the hardware and
9.0.  The problem sounds like a piece of code that's close to the kernel
(like a driver) that's dying when the system starts up, and then cannot
be killed when the system is shut down.

It is somewhat likely that there may be some kind of motherboard bios
faux pas that has been corrected since the mobo was released.  My best
suggestion is to go to the Shuttle website and download the latest
greatest bios for your mobo, and flash the bios. (under vanilla dos)
It's possible that there may be a firmware incompatibility between 9.0
and the mobo;

Which begs the question of the rest of the peripherals.  Has your Nvidia
card been flashed with the latest firmware?  Or other peripherals? I
note your hardware list:

Shuttle motherboard
384 megs ram
AMD Athlon 900 cpu (Probably a 900 Tbird like mine)
Nvidia Geforce 2/64 megs ram (Probably a Bladerunner like mine)
SoundBlaster Xgamer Live sound card (shame on you for buying Creative..)
Adaptec 2930 SCSI card (3940U Dual channel RISC version here)
WinTV tuner card
Linksys network card
Toshiba DVD (scsi) (Toshiba DVD/CDRW Combo here)
Plextor CDRW (scsi)
Iomega Zip internal/IDE (SCSI version here)

The SCSI card looks like an older one, therefore I remember a warning
that Civileme mentioned some time ago about using the wrong version of
the Adaptec SCSI driver.  I myself had been doing this for some time
without (consistent) bad results under 8.2, and wasn't aware I was doing
so until Civileme mentioned the problem.  HOWEVER, this may be a bigger
problem under 9.0 than it is under 8.2.  And, of course, this may not
even be the real problem.

My best suggestion is to check all versions of firmware on all
peripherals (and mobo) that are flashable, and update them to the latest
firmware.  Including your Toshiba DVD.  I don't need to remind you that
you should be careful when doing this ;)  and always attempt to use the
dos version of the firmware updates when available, and a vanilla dos
boot with no smartdrive.exe loaded.  This to me seems the most reliable
route.

I have a firmware update site for all DVD and Combo's.  If you need it

> I asked for support from Mandrake - Zero replies so far. (still got my
> fingers crossed there). I've got the 9.0 DVD/manuals ordered (and they have
> already cashed my check). I sure hope that it does better than the download
> edition!

Ahh, yes.  As you well know I could go on about this, but I will just
say that I've been very patient so far since my paypal card was debited
by Mandrakeclub in October while I fondle the 9.0 mandrake boxes at Best
Buy.  Nuff said?

> In the past, I've noticed that problems I encountered with download editions
> tended to disappear with the Powerpacks. I'm hoping the same is true,
> otherwise, I'll be stuck with a useless DVD.
>
> If anyone else can shed light on this, please...put me out of my misery. :-)
>
> When I actually had it installed/running (as long as I didn't
> shutdown/reboot!), v9.0 looks really great. I like it - I hope I actually get
> to use it here...
>
> Catch everyone later...
>
> --
>
>                                                          /\
>                                                  Dark< >Lord

L8r on, holmes...

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.2