----- Original Message -----
From: Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 20:05:41 +0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Couldn't open /dev/sequencer??

> On Saturday 14 Dec 2002 7:51 pm, Meliton wrote:
> > On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 20:10, Angus Auld wrote:
> > > Greetings everyone,
> > > Whenever I try to open a midi file, I get the following error message:
> > >
> > > "Couldn't open /dev/sequencer.
> > > Probably there is another program using it."
> > >
> > > Well, I can't even find /dev/sequencer on my system. Anyone have any
> > > advice as to how I can get midi files to play on my Mdk 9.0 system?
> >
> > Excuse me if you already know all this, I don't know where you're at
> > with MIDI but:
> >
> > MIDI files contain information to control synthesizers and other
> > hardware so that they carry out certain actions, like playing sounds.
> >
> > MIDI files don't contain any sound information themselves, just the
> > parameters for peripherals designed for that interface.
> >
> > So there's no way a computer will "play" a MIDI file as it does, for
> > example, a .wav or .mp3. It needs special hardware, at least a
> > synthesizer.
> >
> > Regards.
> > Meliton.
>
> Now that's confused me, for sure.  So how, exactly, do we play midi files on a
> computer?
>
> (Not smart-arsing - genuinely want to know)
>
> Anne

Thanks for the replies,
I don't understand too much at all about midi. But,
is there a way to get my Mdk system to produce the
required sounds that are indicated in a midi file?

I haven't been able to get a peep out of Mdk on the
e-cards that I receive that contain a musical segment
in midi format.

I have TiMidity and instruments and all of the multimedia
stuff that I can think of installed, but no midi tunes. :-/
Could there be something that has to be configured?
I'm at a loss. It's not anything I need, but I was able to
hear midi in MS. :-(

Do you have the same problem trying to hear midi Anne?

--Angus

"The noblest instinct of them all is the reverence for life."
--Albert Schweitzer