----- Original Message -----
From: Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 09:44:05 +0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Couldn't open /dev/sequencer??

> On Saturday 14 Dec 2002 8:41 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
> > Thanks for the replies,
> > I don't understand too much at all about midi. But,
> > is there a way to get my Mdk system to produce the
> > required sounds that are indicated in a midi file?
> >
> > I haven't been able to get a peep out of Mdk on the
> > e-cards that I receive that contain a musical segment
> > in midi format.
> >
> > I have TiMidity and instruments and all of the multimedia
> > stuff that I can think of installed, but no midi tunes. :-/
> > Could there be something that has to be configured?
> > I'm at a loss. It's not anything I need, but I was able to
> > hear midi in MS. :-(
> >
> > Do you have the same problem trying to hear midi Anne?
>
> Yes and no - the message you're getting is the one I get if I try to use KMid.
> However, there's another app, KMidi (just to confuse you) that works just
> fine.  Of course I have no way of knowing how good its rendering is, and I
> don't have regular use for it, so I haven't examined tweaking possibilities,
> but it's a starting point for you.
>
> Anne

Thanks Anne, I will give KMidi a try. :-)
I don't use midi that often really, but would just like to be able to hear the little
midi tunes on my e-cards ;-)

If it's as complicated as all get out, I'll just hum the tunes. lol

I will check my file associations and see about KMidi for midi files.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber