On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> How do I quit X?!?  I have Mandrake running KDE on startup.
> Also, how do I stop it loading on startup?  Thanks in advance.

Right-click on the desktop and select "log off" should do it, or at
boot, type "linux 3" (minus quotes) at the LILO prompt. Then, as
root, go edit your /etc/inittab and replace the "id:5:initdefault:"
with "id:3:initdefault:" Then reboot and you'll start up in console
mode. Then, to get back to X-windows/KDE, type "startx." I'd
recommend configuring your X windows to start at the preferred color
depth and resolution, but you can specify the color depth on the
command line such as "startx -- -bpp 24" for 24-bit mode.
        John