On Sunday 15 December 2002 12:16 pm, b w wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I installed Mandrake 8.2 a couple of months ago, and during the install,
> the system recognized my printer with no problem.  Last week, we had a
> power outage, and since then, the printer doesn't respond. I get an "Error:
> can't open output device" when I use the Printer Utility Program.
>
> I've shut down and restarted both the printer and the computer, but nothing
> works... (btw, the printer still prints when the machine is booted in
> Windows 2000).
>
> Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the printer?  If so, how do I do this?
> Anybody got any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> bw

Try going to a console and do su and your root passward at the prompt then
type printer drake and see if you need to or can reconfigure your printer. If
nothing else just remove the printer listed and then add printer back again.
PUP is not a good utility as far as my printers are concerned. HTH
--
Dennis M.  linux user # 180842