On 16 Dec 2002 14:38:21 +1100
Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 14:08, joe wrote:
> >
> > > Yes provided the cable goes to a Hub/router/whatevers Uplink Or #1
> > > port.  thats what that port is for.
> > >
> > OK now I am confused (again), I was thinking from what Stephen wrote
> > that my XP/mdk9.0 box would be connected to my 8.2 box with the
> > crossover cable, and that (8.2) box would have another NIC connected to
> > my cable modem as usual.I thought a hub/router/whatever was unnecessary
> > with this setup. I also thought this would suffice for both file sharing
> > and for sharing the cable connection.Was I wrong? Also what is the #1
> > port?               Joe.
> >

> Best and most simple set is:
> 2 NIC in one box - one connected to ADSL - the other to the "local"
> network.
> 1 NIC in the OTHER computer - using a crossover cable that plugs into
> the other computer for the local network. No major costs. Simple.
>
> --
As a person fairly new to networking with linux i can vouch... it's pretty simple.  I
turned my machines off, put in the NIC's, hooked the 2 together, then I re-installed
all my OS's when I did it (i'd been tinkering too much and broke something AGAIN! lol
but mdk is SO EASY to install on my machines) and it was all done in a flash!  got a
simple rc.firewall script and pow!  It all worked first try and haven't had a single
problem with it.

Jerry.