On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 01:07, Jerry wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2002 14:38:21 +1100

> > --
> As a person fairly new to networking with linux i can vouch... it's pretty simple.
>I turned my machines off, put in the NIC's, hooked the 2 together, then I
>re-installed all my OS's when I did it (i'd been tinkering too much and broke
>something AGAIN! lol but mdk is SO EASY to install on my machines) and it was all
>done in a flash!  got a simple rc.firewall script and pow!  It all worked first try
>and haven't had a single problem with it.
>
> Jerry.

I will have to look into this rc.firewall script. Not many people
recommend using mandrake's firewall I have noticed (in fact the
opposite, most recommend not using it). I have heard (from this list)
that gshield is an easy way to set up a firewall so perhaps I will try
it. I had been using guarddog with some success, but I am not entirely
happy with it.

To everyone, thanks for your advice. I am currently installing 8.2 and
looking forward to playing with my new home network. Hopefully a
re-install of 9.0 wont be necessary since I have just started to "settle
in" with this one. p.s. I went with the extra NIC that some guy sold me
used for $5. Hard to beat those prices.
        Joe.