-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Lanman
Sent: Tuesday, 17 December 2002 10:21 PM
To: Mandrake List
Subject: RE: [newbie] Mandrake's Multi-Network Firewall (MNF)

OK, First update. Includes rules to live by!

Rules;

1) Make sure you have 3 network cards installed.
2) Connect network card #1 (a.k.a. eth0) to your internet connection. If
your going thru a hub or switch that's fine, but you can also configure
the firewall to connect directly to the Internet. Actually, that's what
it's designed for.
2) Connect network card #2 (a.k.a. eth1) to your internal network.
3) Connect network card #3 (a.k.a. eth2) to your secondary internal
network if you have one. If not, consider using this connection for any
services that you would like to have publicly available. In other words,
this connection can be connected to a server running Apache, Proftpd,
Bind, etc., and can be classified as your DMZ , or De-Militarized Zone.

Network card #3 - eth2 can also be used for another subnet ie;
10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0, which opens up a world of possibilities.
Restricted users can be placed on the second subnet, and security can be
cranked up, while leaving the first subnet relatively un-restricted.
Kinda handy for sysadmins and their staff, while locking down all those
nasty users! Grin! Grin! (I'm sorry, but you aren't able to download
MP3's because of the default firewall rules. No, Really! I can't change
it!)

Seriously, this would be great for homes with children. Parents can do
anything they'd like to, while the kids (in another room of course),
would be protected against viewing Adult sites. That sort of thing.

MNF has Apache installed. Version 1.3.23, so you may have to update it.
Also comes with Samba (???), and NFS, Postfix, and a few other bells and
whistles.

More to come as I find out.

Lanman

--