-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Stephen Kuhn
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 3:50 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] alternatives

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 20:12, Brandon Vanderberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been beating my head against my keyboard for about 4 days straight.
> The more I work with Mandrake and all the current apps out there, the
> more impressed I am with all of it. But I can't make the full switch to
> Mandrake until I can resolve the last two issues; Visio and
> Counter-Strike.
>
> As I see it, my choices are wine(x), vmware, and dual booting.
>
> Most of the past 4 days has been spent searching, reading, and trying
> different things to get Half-Life (Counter-Strike) running with winex.
> It still doesn't work and I'm not prepared to spend that much time
> trying to get Visio running, so I've built another partition and put
> Win2k on it. I'll dual boot for now.
>
> But that's not gonna cut it for long.
> I want Linux as my base OS, and I have to be able to run Visio until
> there's a nix equivalent that will handle Visio files flawlessly.
> (Exporting/Importing via HTML or whatnot is neat but not good enough.)
>
> I'm considering the purchase of VMware Workstation, but it's a $300
> decision. So I thought I check here first. This has to be a common
> issue. Are there any other options - recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> ~Brandon
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I wanted to say something about this before, but constantly forget to do
so - so I'll do it now.

WINE wants to be an abstraction layer - a "clone", per se, so that
Windows apps can run - right? SO, if you look in the /usr/share/wine-c/
directory, you see a rather bleak and bland SKELETON of Windows
directories and the likes. Well, that didn't sit right with me - and
wanting to run MYOB whilst in fave linux, I decided to hack WINE.

First, I copied just about everything from my /mnt/hda1/windows
directories right into the /usr/share/wine-c/ directory. Fonts, DLL's -
you name it - I copied it there. I wanted to give Windows programs
everything they asked for. I also dittoed the same with the "Program
Files" subdirs, too. I dug through all the ini files and the WINE
registry files to straighten out things that had been changed as well as
point some "virtual dll's" to the real McCoy's...took a while, and took
a fair bit of experimenting, but overall, now I can run native Windows
applications in my linux world.

Now my way was hacked/slashed - but from what I unnerstan...WineX is by
far the better way to go...they've spent a good deal of time getting
WINE "Game Playable" - which basically tells me that if you can run a
game like UT2002 or HL under linux, running sniveling little MS wanna-be
programs like Viso (only joking there) would be a snap.

And mate, if I can live completely in a Window-less world (socially
even) then so can you!

--
Wed Dec 18 22:40:01 EST 2002
 10:40pm  up  5:32,  3 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.14, 0.20

   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
--------------------------------
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

I love dogs, but I hate Chihuahuas.  A Chihuahua isn't a dog.  It's a rat
with a thyroid problem.