-----Original Message-----
From: Aaron Mehl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

I have a dual boot mandrak 9.0 and w2k.
Even with all the complexity of linux I much prefer it over w2k.
Did you look a win4lin?? This is not a toy like wine is. The problem with
vmware is the price and I tried the demo and was not so impressed with
performance, although those who know how to tweak it say they can get it to
rock.

        My understanding is that win4lin doesn't work with any Direct X apps.
        The second PC is only a Pentium 200 w/ 64MB. So I may go with bsd
        or a very light mdk install in the next go'round. Not sure yet.

I am trying to blow away w2k as soon as I can. This is getting me crazy
rebooting. and I am wasting disk space as well.
my advice is don't jump for mandrake 9.0 so fast. I have used many
distributions. Redhat, Suse, debian, and mandrak.

        I've only used BSD, RH5, RH8, mdk7, 8, 8.1, 8.2, and now 9.
        Of those, I'm most impressed with 9 as a user desktop. To me, it had
        the best chance of getting an old window user to make a full switch.

The only one that has been problem free has been Redhat. Debian is cool but
not for the faint hearted. Suse is way to big.
I use Mandrake cause someone hacked it for audio applications.
otherwise I would be using Redhat.

        For networking applications, (nessus, bb, mrtg, fwlogwatch, and the like),
        I'd also pick 9.0, though I've run other versions in production with
        no problems major issues.

        I think that's something I failed to mention in my first post...
        I'm totally happy with the choice of mdk as a dedicated work box, so
        long as I can rdp to a MSTS that has Visio on it. (Also gets me Exchange
        calendar and resource scheduling.)

(this is all just my opinion)
Since I missed your thread on the Mandrake newbies, what do you use visio
for, and what alternivies did you try on linux??

        I've used dia, kivio (what's with the $10 stencils???), and another I can't
        remember. Don't get me wrong, I can draw a decent network diagram in any of
        these. I just can't pass these documents back and forth to customers,
        management, and co-workers with ease.

lol
Aaron

        ~Brandon