On Wednesday 18 Dec 2002 4:04 pm, Matt Harrison wrote:
> Hey all,
>     I have a MicronPC TransPort GX3 Laptop with a built in wireless
> network card and a regular network card.  The wireless is setup as eth0
> and the other is eth1.  I work in many different buildings and so far I
> have been unable to gain internet access with the wireless card.  It
> appears the only thing it is able to do is grab an IP address.  Is there
> more I need to configure with it, because I didn't see anything else
> about it.  Could the fact it shows up in the "Unknown" hardware list be
> the problem.  I don't recall the make of it offhand, but on the website
> it said it was linux compatable.  It looks like harddrake is detecting
> it as a Lucent Technologies WaveLan/IEEE Adaptor runing the wvlan_cd
> module.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Matt Harrison
> MMNet Technology Support

The networking GUI in Mandrake Control Centre will detect and install the
drivers for most types of wireless cards, but it cannot know the wireless
parameters unless you tell it.  Just go through the Wizard in the networking
GUI and you will be prompted.
The essential things it needs to know are
 mode -Managed or Ad-Hoc
 essid - 'Any' or to match your wireless network
rate - usually 11M
and most importantly
key - 5 or 10 Hexadecimal numbers to match the encryption key of your network.
(or an ascii string preceeded by 's:'  (without the quotes))

Needless to say, until you give a correct encryption key it aint gonna work:)

Alternatively.  If it is getting an IP address via DHCP, then it is possible
the card is already working perfectly, but your computer is set up to use
eth1 as its default path.  You can test this out by typing in a root
terminal.

route del default  (to delete your current default route)
route add default eth0  (to make the wireless card the default route)

The command route without any parameters will list the paths the computer
currently uses to reach any destination.

Do not worry about screwing your computer up with these route commands. The
computer will revert to normal configuration on the next boot.

HTH

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net