Help!

I am trying to print a picture in The GIMP but there are two problems.

First is that the printing is unberably slow. It takes something like 3 hours
(no exageration!) to print out the 2"x3" picture I'm working on.

Second, when the printout is finally complete it is so washed out that it is
almost invisible!

I am using Mandrake 9.0 (GIMP 1.2.3 included on the Mandrake CD) printing to
an Epson Stylus Photo 820 via USB. Printing in other applications (including
the printer test page) is fine. When I print to my other printer (a Brother
HL-1850 laser printer) it prints out fine (albeit not in color...)

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.