Malcolm Candlish wrote:

John,

Thank you for your message. I had rather assumed that the cdrom reader
could be either used by XCDRoast, or in normal usage, not both.

Having received your mail I had another look and found conflicts in mtab and other small deviations. Now all works well with my cdrom reader doubling as XCDRoast reader and for general reader work.

The current Lilo.conf - mtab & fstab files are as follows and I include these in my mail for the benefit of other's for whom this problem still persists.I do recognise that you do put a lot of work into this list and wish to thank you for all your support.. Thank you for your help.

/etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
vga=normal
default=Mandrake
prompt
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
label=Mandrake
root=/dev/hdb5
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.img
append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label=windows

Looks good to me, not only from your scsi-em inclusion, but I like the
way you define your boot paramaters.

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.img

It's good to be specific, especially if like me you end up tripple booting , w2k/M8.2/M9.0, get into the habit of being precise

/etc/fstab
/dev/hdb5 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount
dev=/dev/scd1,fs=auto,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0
0 0

This is supermount, and it works for you with scsi-emulation  ?
for me it doesn't.

none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/nt ntfs ro,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb7 swap swap defaults 0 0

/etc/mtab
/dev/hdb5 / ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /dev devfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hdb6 /home ext3 rw 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom supermount
ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount
rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,dev=/dev/scd1,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount
rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/nt ntfs ro,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0

I don't have any entries in mtab, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong, maybe
I should have cdrom read device entries here as well and then supermount would
work for me too, anyone got any experiences to add on this.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]