On Thursday 19 Dec 2002 3:36 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

> >>I don't have any entries in mtab, maybe that's what I'm doing wrong,
> >> maybe I should have cdrom read device entries here as well and then
> >> supermount would work for me too, anyone got any experiences to add on
> >> this.
> >
> >I thought mtab was system written, showing what drives are mounted?  If
> > so, your mtab seems to be in trouble.  What entries do you have that
> > relate to your reader and writer devices?
> >
> >Anne
>
> None,
>
> My mtab,
> /dev/hda6 / ext2 rw 0 0
> none /proc proc rw 0 0
> none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
> none /dev devfs rw 0 0
> /dev/hda5 /boot ext2 rw 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/W2000 ntfs ro,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0 0 0
> /dev/hda7 /mnt/ext2-vol4 ext2 rw 0 0
> /dev/hda9 /mnt/ext2-vol6 ext2 rw 0 0
> /dev/hda10 /mnt/ext2-vol7 ext2 rw 0 0
> /dev/hda11 /mnt/ntfs-vol8 ntfs ro,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0 0 0
> /dev/hda12 /mnt/ntfs-vol9 ntfs ro,iocharset=iso8859-15,umask=0 0 0

I find that very odd.  I wondered at first if it was because you were using
'auto' mounting, not supermount, as I do.  But then I realised that my LS120
drive is set up to mount the way you do, and my mtab has the following line:

/dev/sda /mnt/LS120 vfat
rw,noexec,sync,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

which obviously is preparing it for mounting from the icon.

I'm not sure just what is happening here.  As I undertand it you can, from a
desktop icon, mount and unmount cdrom and cd-rw without problems, yet mtab
doesn't recognise their existance.

Any help, anyone?

Anne