Anne,

mtab should be dynamic, written by the system, based on mounted
partitions/drives.

To verify this, open a terminal window and su to root. Presuming that
your LS120 is mounted:  Open /etc/mtab and take a look at how it lists
your LS120.  Close the file, making no changes.  Next, make a copy of
your current /etc/fstab file (e.g. fstab.original).  Then open and edit
the line referring to your LS120, setting it to match the /dev
scsi-emulation entry.  Save the altered fstab file (as fstab).  Now
issue the command: umount /mnt/LS120 (or whatever it's called in /mnt).

If you open the /etc/mtab file now, you should no longer see the LS120
listed.  Close the file without making changes.  Issue the command:
mount /mnt/LS120 (or appropriate).  Again, open /etc/mtab.  You should
now see the LS120 listed at the bottom of the file with the new settings
you just gave it.

Presuming that all is, as listed above, you can test to see if your
system and the LS120 will play nicely with the new settings.  If they
don't, simply copy the fstab.original to fstab, unmount and remount the
drive and you should be back to the way it was before starting the
experiment.

I run 9.0 with supermount with no problems (hda, hdb, dvd, cd-rw, iomega
zip drive).  I was reluctant to change the settings for the dvd drive to
scsi emulation...but finally make the change to lilo and fstab (thank
you, Malcolm, for the push).  I even 'moved' the cdrw from scsi0 to
scsi1 in fstab and set dvd as scsi0 (it's the master on the bus).  All
is working well and I now have a reader and writer in xcdroast and mdk
install recognizes and installs from dvd drive, as before.

I'm not sure whether this has any effect or not...but this box is an
(ugh!) HP Pavilion, 500 MHz that came with cable select set on the
drives.  When I dumped the 19GB bigfoot and installed 2 IBM 40GB drives,
I was too cheap/lazy to buy new cables and install as master/slave on
hds or rom drives.

<snip>

--
Erik