Yes I agree that all distros have their own quirks and I am now back on
board.

The drives all worked on my win boot that was what was making me
crazy...
And even crazier is the fact that the cdburning stuff found my cdr and
used it succesfully..........
:)

The printer is another bag of beans, I went and downloaded the driver
from HP. I installed it according to instructions but I just couldn't
understand how to enter the command line options they gave to test the
configuration.

I tried reinstalling from scratch with the new driver but no results.
Since my cd problem is solved I have regained a bit of patience for the
printer, although it is a bit frustrating to reboot everytime you need
to print....

I am going to the printing user groups archives to see how others got up
and running.
Thanks to all who answered.
Aaron

--