On Sunday 29 Dec 2002 2:43 am, Richard Babcock wrote:
> I had the exact same problem with the exact same cpu (different mb no
> doubt, you couldn't have the pos I have). It turned out I needed more
> memory. Not knowing a lot about the mb or the chips I bought I'm still
> trying to figure out why two 128mb chips give me 65mb of memory.

I have 128 Mb, but what you say rings bells - I seem to remember reading
something about only 64Mb being recognised.

> The happy
> part is ML 8.2 runs very well and installed flawlessly (keeping in mind
> that I only wanted a file server so no heavy graphics or multi-media stuff
> is installed). On the other side of the fence is the fact that I shouldn't
> be putting money into this old mb and I need a bigger hd anyway so I will
> no doubt replace the mb with something that will like my chips, find a used
> 20g hd somewhere and only keep the case and it's accoutrements (cdrom,
> cdburner, floppy). It was a fun project though!

I'm tempted to re-try, but I think you're right that 8.2 may be the best way.
The 6Gb disk that I have for the purpose has, I think, a trial installation
of 8.1 on it - it turned out that I had a number of dubious hardware points
on the case of the machine I tried - so I think I'll use Partition Magic to
get rid of the partitions altogether, starting with a completely blank disk.
I do have an old linux boot disk (RH5, I think).  I wonder if I would be
better using fdisk from that?

Anyway, it's an excuse to play :)

Anne