Originally I did an upgrade on both of my computers, the laptop is still
working, but my main computer crashed about a week later, reason
unknown.  I was unable to recover from the crash,so did a fresh install.

I think my step step, if I can find the time, will be to hunt down all
vestiges of java and then do an upgrade followed by a fresh install of
java.

Rich