> On Saturday January 4 2003 10:34 am, Angus Auld wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the reply Tom. I ran :
> > > rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
> > >                  ( ^^  that's two underscores )
> > > rpm --rebuilddb
> >
> > as you suggested, but I still see identical named packages
> > appearing in "Install/Remove software".
> >
> > What could account for this has got me baffled.
>>*******************************************
>Tom Brinkman wrote:
>     Me too ;) ... but I don't use the gui tools for package
> management, prefering to do it all on the CL ... with the exception
> that I like Software Sources Manager for adding/removing or just
> temporarily en/disabling installed sources.  So probly somebody else
> who does use the gui's can help.  Charles ??
>
>     The only time I've seen multiple packages available in the gui
> tools is when I've had multiple sources defined and the same rpm was
> available from all sources.  BUT, that was with the old rpmdrake (pre
> 9.0), and before I became an urpmi on the CL fan. The way my brain
> works, that's practically ancient history ;)
> --
>     Tom Brinkman                  Corpus Christi, Texas
Yes Tom, I've seen multiple same packages too, w/8.2, and, like
you describe, from multiple sources.

This is strange though, because the packages, while they have
identical names description, have differing files contained within.
All the while having the same changelog.

I have tex as a source, and sometimes his packages will show as
duplicates. The concerned duplicates are both from "updates" though. I
have tried disabling tex, but that hasn't made any difference.

Prior to this though, I did have a problem when trying to install
something from "updates", and some packages from tex were trying to install as
dependencies. I can't recall what I was installing, but the packages that tex wanted
to install were fontconfig and libqt3 IIRC. After disabling tex I installed
w/o incident. Also, when I had tex enabled, something was occurring that
I thought rather strange. When I would run Mandrake update, there were two
packages from tex that would be listed as updates. :-/ They were;
kdelibs-3.0.4-2tex.i586.rpm,
kdelibs-devel-3.0.4-2tex.i586.rpm
Could this behaviour be related?? I didn't install any of these mentioned packages
from tex.

Regards.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber