<<<<<<<<<<   On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:36:41 -0500   >>>>>>>>>>
Walt Frampus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am now using mandrake linux 9.0  99.9% of the time. I only have one program
> that I have to use windows for. Since I had so many problems installing linux
> on my ECS motherboard, I switched back to my slower computer until I can get
> a new motherboard. I decided the only way I was going to learn and use linux
> was to just use it. I am working out the geforce driver issues and Java etc.
> but so far, everything is going smoothly. MPlayer did tell me that my
> computer was too slow to play DVD's but I had no problems with the DVD ROM on
> this computer under windows. oh well, back to optimizing my machine...
>
> Walt

I have 400 celeron from year 97 and have no problem playing anything with MPlayer
in the  opposite, I am totally unable to play with ogle or xine, they just show one
frame every second or 2.
With Mplayer my processor usage is only 30% - 40%.
Jus in any case check what video device MPlayer uses, and try something else also.
When I installed then the one it suggested and took in use by default refused to paly
anything at all
Im using "xv" now, and works just fine.

Kristjan