Ronald J. Hall wrote:

On Sunday 05 January 2003 10:01 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

funny you should mention that I'm having much the same message too.
I don't think mplayer is instyalling right with M9.0 , don't know the
reason yet.
I'm beginning to suspect the compiler.

but I had no problems with the DVD ROM on
this computer under windows. oh well, back to optimizing my machine...

Walt

John

I've got a faster 'puter now (AMD XP2100) but I had Mplayer running just fine on my 900 mhz Athlon and my sons' 850 mhz Duron.

What CPU/mem are you using?

CPU 1800 athlon, 512mb ddr memory

Incidentally, this very same computer has dual linux booting, and on M8.2
which also has mplayer installed everything works fine, though I did compile
with the mandated gcc compiler of the time, not the standard gcc on M8.2
Whereas I used the standard gcc compiler that comes with M9.0

Now I'm not saying it is the compiler, but it's one posibility, choice of
video driver maybe something here , I don't know, I do know mplayer
itself will play but only without an index scan, but gmplayer
will not play properly at all and only then with no index scan option
and I get the error message about video stream too slow, which it
is , although in my case it does not lag behind the audio stream,
it just stops momentarily and then proceeds. Remember this
is all going on in M9.0 , but over in M8.2 all is fine, though it
is an earlier version of mplayer installed there.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]