On Monday 06 Jan 2003 4:26 pm, Daniel Segel wrote:
> At 12:20 PM 1/6/2003 +0000, Anne wrote:
> >Or set a filter on your machine to ignore them
>
> I find this to be a poor solution for many reasons:
>
> 1. This is a *newbie* list, and some of the people on it really are newbies
> who have more pressing issues on their mind than how to set up such a
> filter.

No problem has been neglected   Personally, I think the ability to filter
emails is an essential skill, but there you are.

> 2. I don't like the idea of setting up new filters every time a new OT
> subject pops up.

So set up one that acts on all messages preceded by 'OT'.

> 4. If the signal:noise ration on this list goes down low enough it ceases
> being a worthwhile mailing list.

A day or so is hardly a problem of this size.  Get a sense of proportion.

> This is an e-mail list, not a web forum. Subscribers have no choice but to
> accept (or somehow process) everything that comes down the line,

You could always try webmail - there you can delete anything without
downloading.

> so please
> be considerate and keep the OT stuff to a minimum.

Get a life, Daniel, or you'll be old before your time.  BTW, thank you for
cropping your quote - that's helpful.

Anne