Chris Edwards wrote:
> Mr. Auld,
>
> I am not an expert and the following may be slightly incorrect, but AFAIK ...
>
> The supermount option applies to removeable drives; the noauto option applies to
>harddrives which are always "present" or "connected". The only way to disable
>supermount is to explicitly deselect "supermount". This forces the user to manually
>mount and unmount the removeable media. To do the same for harddrives select "noauto".
>
> On Friday 27 Dec 2002 3:04 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
>
> Greetings, I think I have come to the conclusion that supermount is a
> "great mystery" to me. Perhaps the name should be changed to "maybemount"?
>
> It seems to work at times, but then other times it doesn't. This is not a
> satisfying relationship. I am also not having great success using MCC
> to try to disable supermount. I selected the "user" mode instead of
> "noauto" (should I have chosen "noauto"?). After confirming my
> choice of options, I exited MCC. Then I discovered that supermount
> is still enabled. :-/
>
> --
> Chris Edwards

Thank you Chris for your reply. I did finally get supermount disabled by using the CL
method of "supermount -i disable".

I can live with manually mounting/unmounting my cdrom and floppy. At least I know what
to expect each time I use them now. ;-)
I found the uncertainty of supermount very frustrating indeed. From what I can
determine, supermount just will not work on some hardware configurations. Mine seems
to be one of those.

Best regards.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber